I walked into a military exercise in my front yard on Monday

CURRENT EVENTS.
Post in the CURRENT EVENTS forum should be post about events less then 2 months old. Older historic events should be posted in the CURRENT EVENTS new Historic sub-forum. Clicking on the CURRENT EVENTS header will lead you to both forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

I walked into a military exercise in my front yard on Monday

Postby Don-san » Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 am

I'm gonna make this short - I tried to post last night but it timed me out before I could post. First off, I don't buy into most of the conspiracy theories and I've never seen a UFO or anything like that. But you ain't gonna believe what happened Monday night.

I live on the outskirts of Cherryville, NC. Little town in the sticks. No military bases around here and the closest Guard Armory is on the other side of the county. Monday night, at about 2:30, I went outside to smoke. And while I'm standing there I hear someone running down the street in front of my house. I turn to my right, look up the street and I see a glow stick flopping up and down, attached to a soldier. Yeah, a freaking soldier. The dude is humping it down the road like he's being chased. I yelled for him to stop and he jogs across my yard and walks right up to me and introduces himself - says his name is Sergeant Carr. I shook the guy's hand and asked him what was going on and he says "we're running an exercise." So I say "is everything all right?" And he says "yes" and I say "so nothing is going on, nothing's wrong?" and he says "no, nothing's wrong, we're running an exercise" and he says he has to go. Friendly dude, completely lucid. The thing is he's in full battle rattle. I mean light gray digital camo BDUs, a big ruck on his back that looked full to me, a glow stick on the front of his harness AND he's carrying an M4 slung down under his right arm.

Since nothing like this EVER happens around here I was shocked and didn't think to ask the guy 20 questions. So I watch him run down the street. When he's about 100, 120 yards from me I hear people yelling back behind me in the woods. So I yelled down to him and said "Sergeant Carr, I think your buddies are back this way" and he stops, turns around and humps it right back up the road past me, says thanks and keeps on going. Weird enough, right?

About an hour or so later I'm looking out my back door and I see a group of soldiers, all of them in full battle rattle, walking across my back yard/neighbor's yard. Every single last one of them is fully kitted out just like the dude I talked to. Almost all of them looked like they had rifles and all of them had these freaking glow sticks on their harnesses. Now, these guys were far enough away that I couldn't see their faces. But here it is, 2:30 in the morning and 10 or 12 guys that looked like the real deal to me are walking across my back freaking yard!!! I watched them go into the woods and that was that. Didn't see or hear another thing.

I called 3 TV stations that night - WBTV, WSOC and News 14. None of them had heard anything about any kind of exercise. I called the Guard and actually got somebody on the phone at around 3, 3:30 and they said they didn't know anything about it. I work with a lady whose husband is second in command to the Chief of the county police out here and he didn't know anything about it.

I don't think it was a group of idiots out playing war in the middle of the night. No way they would all be humping rucks if that was the case. Also, there's no way 10 or 12 guys would all decide to play at 2:30 in the morning and all of them think it's a good idea to A. carry M4s or ARs around on private property and B. to wear freaking glow sticks so they's really stand out good and make excellent targets. I don't think it was some sinister, secret exercise but I have no idea what in the hell it could have been. I've spent the past 3 days trying to figure it out and I got nothing. I've been told that it was "urban warfare drills" - meaning a secret military exercise to train up whomever it was so that they can put down the population in an uprising. I don't buy that. But I have no idea who these "soldiers" were and the thing that gets me is they were on private property and they were freaking patroling and armed - I didn't say the rifles were loaded. I didn't even see if Sergeant Carr's M4 was loaded because I was too shocked to even hardly think.

Now, I'm not a nutcase and I didn't see any black helicopters or men in black or a crashed UFO. What I did see were 10 or 12 dudes, fully kitted out, carrying rifles, carrying out some sort of exercise in my part of the country with no permission and no notice to the property owners. I don't believe for a minute that it was some redneck militia and I have a good reason why I say that but it's not "politically correct" if you get my drift. I have no idea who these guys were but I'm telling you they looked the part of being military. I know it sounds crazy but there it is. Does anybody have any idea what I walked out into? Does the Guard have authority to conduct exercises on private property without permission? And are they really stupid enough to sneak around in the middle of the night, armed, on private property, wearing glow sticks so that me or my neighbors will have a perfect target to shoot at?
Don-san
Plinker

Re: I walked into a military exercise in my front yard on Mo

Postby Flowmaster » Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 am

Being so close to the CIA, National Counterterrorism Center, and various other government installations, I've seen my fair share of the men in black driving their blacked out Crown Vics and Suburbans. I've never run across military people all kitted out though. I've seen very obvious surveillance, but never soldiers.

VERY strange story. What you see didn't happen. That's what they're going to tell you. Sgt Carr probably wasn't his real name. Oh, and by the way, big brother is currently watching this thread. Maybe I should adjust my tin foil hat.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Don-san » Fri May 25, 2012 9:27 am

Well, I've given up on trying to figure out what was going on. It just doesn't make any sense. My house isn't near anything of any value as an area for training. It's out in the sticks, not near a nuclear plant, airport, nowhere near the Guard Armory. And I'm 165 miles from Fort Bragg.
Don-san
Plinker

Postby adam01364 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 am

Has anyone gone missing in the neighborhood?
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby getvicious » Fri May 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Does the Guard have authority to conduct exercises on private property without permission?

In a word - No.

I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's not suppose to happen. Heck, I did a test ICBM launch from CA "back in the day" and we had to have approvals from the State, FAA, EPA...... Even though it's the "Military" there are still issues of liability and other legal items they must comply with.

How much trouble do you want to cause about this and how paranoid are you about contacting some flavor of locals or feds?

If you're a bit paranoid, don't call anybody.

If you want to cause a little trouble you might:
Call the Gaston County Sheriff to report your "incident".
Or
Call the FBI office in Charlotte (phone 704-672-6100 or email Charlotte.public@ic.fbi.gov).
Or
Contact your State Representative or Congressperson (depending on your actual district it will be one of these folks).
    Representative Kelly E. Hastings (Rep) - District 110 (919-715-2002)
    Representative John A. Torbett (Rep) - District 108 (919-733-5868)
    Representative William A. Current, Sr. (Rep) - District 109 (919-733-5809)
    Senator Chris Carney (Rep) - District 41 (919-715-3050)
    Senator Kathy Harrington (Rep) - District 43 (919-733-5734)
In all cases you might add "I don't know who these guys were but i wonder if they were actually military members on an exercise on my personal (and my neighbor's) property am afraid someone was out impersonating military members for some ulterior motive."

That's liable to generate all kinds of excitement in the various local military groups and law enforcement agencies....

If you do report it to some "official" group let us know what happens. 8-)

By the way - It's a Great story!
It's not the blast that kills you, it's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious
GUN NUT!

Postby Ranger-6 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Ya should have got in uniform and joined the exercise.
They had to be up to no good.
Ranger-6
Hardcore

Postby Don-san » Sat May 26, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm not a paranoid guy :) Like I said, I don't think this was some sort of secret, sinister thing that was going on. Like I said, I work with the spouse of the second in command of the Chief of Gaston County police and even he didn't know what was going on. Nobody knew anything about it, including the Guard. But I do have an update. Last night my car was broken into - completely unrelated and I was one of at least 12 hit in this area last night. BUT, I mentioned what happened to the cop and he laughed and said that one of the neighbors up the street told him a similar story this morning when he was investigating at that guy's house (his car was broken into too). So: A. I'm not crazy; B. At least one other person on my road saw the same thing.

So I'm still at a loss as to what was going on or who the "soldiers" were. So at this point I'm going to assume it was a bunch of guys playing war in the middle of the night. I don't really believe that either because they'd have to be complete idiots to go to the trouble of humping rucks AND they'd have to be nearly brain dead to think walking around on private property, out in the country in middle of the night, armed and wearing glow sticks is a good idea.

Hey, at least now I know how those people who "see" UFOs feel :) Now, if the dirtbag who ripped off my car would just come back I'd introduce him to my Bryco 59...I'd even let him take home a 9mm souvenir for his troubles...
Don-san
Plinker

Postby Admin » Sun May 27, 2012 8:43 am

Ranger-6 wrote:Ya should have got in uniform and joined the exercise.
They had to be up to no good.

:D
+1
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby kf7mjf » Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 am

Just a thought, could it have been local militia nutters ?
kf7mjf
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby getvicious » Tue May 29, 2012 10:55 am

Last night my car was broken into - completely unrelated and I was one of at least 12 hit in this area last night.

Lets see....

You see several people out previously, running thru the neighborhood where they have no business being at 230AM. You are given a "story" by one of the people who are running around where they have no business being about a military exercise.

A few days later "at least 12" vehicles are broken into in this same neighborhood.

Hmmm - Coincidence? You be the judge......

By the way - sorry to hear about your car (and your neighbor's). That really sucks!
It's not the blast that kills you, it's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious
GUN NUT!

Next

Return to CURRENT EVENTS. Post in this forum should be post about events less then 2 months old.