JA22 Detailed Disassembly

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

JA22 Detailed Disassembly

Postby Flowmaster » Fri May 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Jimenez JA22 Detailed Disassembly
By Flowmaster for the bryco-jennings-jimenezarms forum.

This is all you should ever need to know about taking apart a Jimenez Arms JA22.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Jimenez Arms. What you do with your gun is your own business and your own problem. I am in no way responsible for whatever might happen to your gun. Be aware that there are small parts like pins and springs here. They can get lost, so make sure you work in a well-lit and clean environment. Make sure the magazine is out of the gun and the chamber is empty. Never work on a loaded gun.
Tools needed for this project are 2 punches (3/32nds and 1/16ths) and a flat screwdriver. Also, it’s helpful to have something to put the frame on when driving out the pins. I used a book.
The first part of disassembling one of these guns is to take off the slide. This is really as far as you need to go to normally clean the gun. There is a takedown button on the back of the slide. If the orange tip is protruding, that means the gun is cocked. Check to make sure the chamber is empty and pull the trigger to uncock the gun.
I use the base plate of the magazine to push on the takedown button. You could also use a pen or one of the punches. I just use the base plate of the magazine because its always there with the gun. After pushing in on the takedown, pull back slightly on the slide and lift it up.
With the takedown button now above the frame, you can let the slide go forward and off of the barrel. The coil spring around the barrel just pulls off.
You can remove the firing pin, spring, and takedown button from the frame for cleaning. They just slide out.
Now its time to remove the grips. Use a well-fitting screwdriver to remove the grip screws. Sometimes the grips can be on there pretty well and need to be pried off of the frame. There is a space on either side to use the small punch as a lever.
The safety and its spring just lift out. Here’s a picture of the safety off (top) and on safe (in the bottom picture).
On the other side of the frame is the trigger and cam. When the trigger is pulled, the cam move, which in turn makes the sear go up and down. The sear lets the firing pin go towards the cartridge, making it go bang. The grip was holding the cam in place, but now that the grip is gone, the cam will just lift off.
To remove the sear, you’ll need to get the ejector out. This requires the use of the smaller of the 2 punches needed for this job (1/16th). In the picture I have the punch sitting in the hole. The pin can be driven out either side.
With that pin out of the frame, you can pull the ejector up and out of its slot in the frame.
After the ejector is out of the way, the sear and its spring will lift out.
Here’s a pic of the sear, its spring, the ejector pin, and the ejector.
The trigger can now be removed. The trigger pin also uses the smaller size punch. This pin is hollow on my Jimenez. Like the other pin, it can be driven out of either side of the frame.
With the trigger pin out of the gun, the trigger can be removed. With the trigger bar in your hands, pull the trigger rearward. That hole in the frame is big enough the take the trigger out of the frame.
The trigger has 2 springs. Don’t lose them! The top spring might try to disappear. Both springs are circled in this picture.
Next is the magazine release. To remove the mag release pin, use the larger punch. This one can also be driven out of either side of the frame. Once its out, you can see the magazine release and it’s spring.
There are a couple more pins in the frame, but there is really no reason to take these out. They’re just there to retain the takedown button. I’ve never removed these. Never really needed to, but it’d be a good idea to remove those if you’re going to be refinishing the frame.
The only pin left in the gun is the one that holds in the barrel. This pin also uses the large punch and needs to be driven out of the gun in one direction. I’ve heard that on older Jennings and Bryco J22s (the precursor to the Jimenez JA22), some of the guns have a hole on one side and not the other. If you need to remove the barrel, you’ll need to drill or grind out the spot on the other side of the frame to give the pin a place to go. Important: there is no reason to remove the barrel unless you’re replacing it.
That covers the detailed disassembly of the Jimenez Arms JA22. The old Jennings, Bryco, and Calwestco J22s come apart the same way. Some older guns have a different safety configuration and a different firing pin/takedown button combination, but all other parts interchange between all J22s and JA22s.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to The J-22/JA-22 Forum