C9 Detailed Disassembly

Moderators: FergusonTO35, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, martin08, adam01364, Mr Saturday Night Special

C9 Detailed Disassembly

Postby Flowmaster » Fri May 11, 2012 9:03 pm

I found this saved in a word file. I think my other write ups (J22 and Raven) may have been lost with the forum switch over.

This is a disassembly guide for those wanting to completely strip their Hi Point C9 pistol. Before starting work on any gun, make sure it is unloaded. This is intended as a guide only, for entertainment purposes. Whatever damage you do to your gun is YOUR problem.

Before actually taking the gun apart, make sure you’re in an area with good lighting and the proper tools. I used 3 punches for this disassembly procedure as well as a #2 philips screwdriver. Also, a tray from a box of ammo is great if you don’t want to mar the surface you’re working on. During this procedure, I put the frame and slide on top of the ammo tray and hammer to my heart’s content. It’s a good way to hold onto the pins too.
Now, lets take the gun apart. First thing to do is “field strip” the gun. With the magazine out and the gun unloaded, lock back the slide. From either side of the gun, a pin can be seen in a notch in the slide. This pin will need to be driven out in order to remove the slide from the frame.
after the pin has been driven out of the frame, the slide can be pulled up then let forward to slide off of the barrel.
To take the slide apart, remove the parts in the firing pin channel. They will slide out of the firing pin channel with ease. There are two versions of C9 firing pin designs. This particular gun is of the newer design.
To remove the extractor from the slide, a pin needs to come out. With the pin out of the way, the extractor will come out. Sometimes the spring gets stuck in the slide, so poking it with a punch will get it out.
Use the #2 phillips head to remove the grip panel from the right side of the gun.
with the grip removed, the magazine release spring can be lifted out. In the top left is the cam, which also lifts out.
The sear can now be removed. With the cam out of the way, you can lift the sear and spring out of the frame.
Removing the trigger can be done by removing the pin holding it in place. The pin itself is bent, so it needs to go out of the gun in one direction. Hammer from the left side toward the right side. Removing the pin allows the trigger to be slid out of the frame.
the trigger needs to be turned to take it out of the hole in the frame
Now its time to remove the drop safety. Flip up the pin that was underneath the sear and wiggle it out.
The drop safety will fall out of the bottom of the frame without its pin.
Next, move onto the other side of the gun. Remove the grip from this side of the gun.
The grip holds the safety in place. Without the grip, the safety lever will come out.
Also on this side of the gun is the magazine release and bolt hold open. The magazine release has a plastic button on it. The button just pulls off of the magazine release.
Next remove the spring for the bolt hold open. This bolt hold open actuates when the gun has an empty magazine in it and the slide is pulled back. With the slide pulled back, the magazine’s follower pushes up the bolt hold open, locking the slide in the rearward position. With the spring removed, the magazine release will come out of the frame.
With the hold open spring removed, turn over the frame and remove the two pins holding the barrel in place.
The larger barrel pin is splined and needs to be hit a little harder than just a tap. With both of the pins removed, the barrel can be lifted out of the frame.
At this point,I thought I was done. There is a little piece in the top of the frame that I neglected to see when removing the sear and drop safety. It just lifts out.
Now the frame is fully taken apart. This is not necessary for a regular cleaning, but a good activity if you plan to refinish the frame and/or slide.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Hi-Point, Stallard, Maverick, Haskell, Maverick and Iberia firearms forum